Wednesday, October 30, 2019

BIG BOY : SMALL PAY. By Bryn Fortey



“Down in Tupelo, Mississippi, I used to hear old Arthur Crudup
bang his box the way I do now, and I said: If I ever got to the place
I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody saw.”
(Elvis Presley)

“I was born poor, I live poor, and I’ll die poor.”
(Arthur ‘Big Boy’ Crudup)


Presley’s legendary first Sun single
Was an Arthur Crudup song
And when RCA bought his contract
Elvis picked two more to record
And other Chart Acts followed suit
Old Arthur should have been
Piling up the royalties, but...

He’d been living in a packing case
And barely surviving in Chicago
When a&r man Lester Melrose
Heard him street singing
And got him a record deal

Melrose paid Arthur a small fee
For each recording session
But published his compositions
Himself, never paying royalties

With others getting rich
While he remained poor
Crudup turned to manual labour
And bootlegging booze for finance 
Being rediscovered in his sixties
And playing the college circuit
Then cracking major league shows
As opening act for Bonnie Raitt

Over the years, many people tried
To help him get the royalties
He had never received
But most ended in failure
One small payment was secured
Not many years before his death
But he died still owed a fortune






Bryn Fortey is a veteran writer from Wales. He has had two
collections published by The Alchemy Press: MERRY-GO-
ROUND (2014) and COMPROMISING THE TRUTH (2018),
both featuring short stories and poems. He has been well
published over the years, both in print and on the internet. 







No comments:

Post a Comment