Friday, October 11, 2019

An American Love Letter. By Daniel W. Wright




Across Route 66 and down Highway 61
On the 405 and up the 101
Down from Canada to Miami on I-95
Take the California Zephyr
or fly into JFK
I want to say
I love this country
like I once did
I see much to love
and much to be grateful for
I want to believe in our greatness
I want us to be that ideal
that every American has
deep in their heart
The ones that our heroes
show we can be

I still long
to love this country
like a madness
Instead of fighting a madness
every day
One on one
there's still so much good
Person to person
I still see that ideal America
in every lifestyle
in every laugh
We are not as far apart
as the headlines wish you to believe
At this point it'd be best
if the revolution weren't televised
only live-streamed

I cry to you America
I yearn for the good ideas on paper
that seem to be forgotten
with the passing
of every postmodern moment
Maybe I long for an mirage
Something I thought I saw
but I can swear
it was real
for a brief moment in my youth
I thought we had it
I cry to you America
to stand for
what you used to stand up for
the laws and rights
that now are just faded ink

I beg of you America
to regain your long-term memory
To call out that
which we all know
is wrong
For a handshake across the aisle
to no longer be
a treasonous act
so both sides can work together
without the prerequisite need
to sharpen one's knife
just in case
To educate your children
and for information to no longer
be a dirty word
so that science and math
are no longer looked upon
by anyone
as a long con

I'm sorry if I ask for too much America
the human spirit just knows
how great this country
and this world
could be
And we don't have the time
we once did
My fault for constantly believing
Wanderlust comes with price
There's no pity to be had
only Buddhist truth
I won't apologize for believing
I'm sorry if it's inconvenient America
but so many know what you can really be
I see your faults
and know we can do better
I see your strengths
and love you for it
I want to be here
for the long haul






A poet of the no collar work force, Daniel W. Wright is a mid-western son who loves and loathes the red brick town that surrounds him. A longtime writer of wild nights and whiskey tributes, Wright speaks for the lover in every loner. He is currently the author of five chapbooks of poetry, the most recent being The Death of the Ladies Man with Bad Jacket Press. His work has appeared in the Gasconade Review as well as underground zines Bad Jacket and Crappy Hour

No comments:

Post a Comment