Sunday, December 15, 2019

Equinox By Alex Z. Salinas


I hear defeat 
In Coltrane’s
“Equinox,” his
Sax desperate
To slither out
Of Wittgenstein’s 
Suicide bottle, 
Yet Elvin Jones’
Drums protect 
Earth from caving
In, McCoy Tyner’s
Piano satisfies 
Like the meal my
Aunt treated me to
In grad school, 
And on this bright 
Cold morning 
Same as night,
It isn’t fair I 
Climb this hill
Alone, drag 
My feet with 
Knowledge you’re 
Gone, still I 
Zigzag to Coltrane
Up down around
The dead-end trail,
Perform for
Birds ‘n crickets,
Fly musicians
Crying chords
Of presence, 
Survival. 







Alex Z. Salinas lives in San Antonio, Texas. His full-length poetry collection, WARBLES, Is out now released by Hekate Publishing .

He is poetry editor of the San Antonio Review, and his short fiction has appeared in numerous publications online.




No comments:

Post a Comment