Friday, May 31, 2024

Journey to Reach Night By Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozábal


I left the window open
in case anyone wanted to peek out.
I climbed the tree 
outside my window 
to go up and not down.
I tried to reach night
at its summit and pluck
the stars and poke the moon 
in its eye. I leave no advice 
to anyone about how
I act on impulse.
I left the window open 
to let lightning inside.
I left the window open
in case anyone wanted to take 
my place. On a cold January 
morning I decided to
leave the door open 
if I ever changed my mind
about my journey to reach night.





Born in Mexico, Luis lives in California and works in the mental health field in Los Ángeles. His poems have appeared in Ariel Chart, Fearless, Mad Swirl, The Rye Whiskey Review, and Unlikely Stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment