Thursday, June 11, 2020

The Only Math I Like. By Ryan Quinn Flanagan


 I wish I hadn’t drank the bloody house dry!
I say.
I want to write today, but can’t without the juice.


My friend John understands better than anyone.
Says his doc said whiskey is actually good for you.
A drink a night, I mean, so 15 must be fantastic then!
my friend says.


He tells me his doc did not get the joke.


Ah, drinker’s math, I say.
1 drink good, 15 better…
the only math I like.


My friend is just heading into hurricane season.
It is the end of April and snowing again up in these parts.
There is still snow covering everything.


It’s as though the Colombian cartels were being chased by the DEA 
and dumped the 1980s all over everything!
I say.


John is just starting in on the half gallons he picked up
the other day and some good tunes.


I am living the dry life.
At least for the next two days.


Listening to the fridge in the next room
show its age.






Ryan Quinn Flanagan is a Canadian-born author residing in Elliot Lake, Ontario, Canada with his wife and many bears that rifle through his garbage.  His work can be found both in print and online in such places as: Evergreen Review, The New York Quarterly,The Rye Whiskey Review, Outlaw Poetry Network, Under The Bleachers, The Dope Fiend Daily and In Between Hangovers.



Also be sure to check out Ryan's newest book from Whiskey City Press. 

Gluttony in this Desert of Fools. 


https://www.amazon.com/Gluttony-Desert-Fools-Quinn-Flanagan/dp/B08928JNJV/ref=sr_1_7?crid=12W2HJHOZTQ6&dchild=1&keywords=ryan+quinn+flanagan&qid=1590950378&s=books&sprefix=ryan+quinn%2Caps%2C202&sr=1-7


No comments:

Post a Comment