Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Become the Road. By Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozábal


I remain unsteady and
I got nowhere to go
despite all the roads
and the sea where they end.
I never chased after
riches so I remain
in a place I cannot climb
out of. I love my life.
I feel weightless in
the pocket like a spider’s
web. I see the spider’s
scarlet belly and the sun.
Under a blue sky
I burst out laughing.
I want to cry, but I just
keep walking down the road.
I leave no footprint.
I leave no crumbs.
I go on traveling until
I become the road.
I do not look back.
There’s not much to see.
I won’t go back again
to track the places I’ve been.
If I wake in the morning,
that’s the place to be.
I’ll be by the bushes
and cry silently.
Have you ever heard
of a road crying? Have you
ever seen a road where
every step is a journey?
I’m a long way from home.
I’m shrouded in dust.
This land has claimed me.
At least I could rest.
Do not cry for me.
There’s nothing to cry for.
I have become the road.
I’ve taken my last step.
If you want to sing a song
about a weary wanderer,
go ahead. I have nothing
to say. I’m just the road.
You’ll become the road too
when you take your last step.









Luis was born in Mexico, lives in California, and works in the mental health 
field in Los Angeles, CA. His poems have appeared in Ariel Chart, Beatnik Cowboy,
Dope Fiend Daily, Unlikely Stories, and Zygote In My Coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment